25 October 2015

The Hearing Protection Act - Finally Something Congress Can Get Right!

Recently, bill H.R. 3799 was introduced by Representative Matt Salmon of Arizona. The purpose is to change how firearm suppressors (or silencers in legal terminology) are treated. Instead of being treated like a Title 2 firearm (as they are now) they will be treated like a Title 1 firearm. This means that instead of paying a $200 dollar tax and filing paperwork that takes MONTHS (usually) for the ATF to finish, you complete the usual form firearm form 4473 just like you would for a rifle or shotgun.

I think the best reason for this is noise reduction, especially for those who live near a shooting range. I definitely want one for my home defense pistol. A single shot from a pistol fired in an outdoor, very open space is very loud and can ring your ears if you aren't wearing ear protection (I've done it - it hurt). Firing the same pistol in a confined space like a hallway can really mess you up.

I also want one because suppressors are cool. I've been thinking about buying one for a while now but it'll be a while before I get around to starting that process.

I FULLY support H.R. 3799.

No comments:

Post a Comment