23 February 2016

The Walther PK380 - I Wish They Made it in 9

Lately, I've been looking into seriously starting a side business where I introduce individuals, who come looking, to the handgun of their dreams. Or at least satisfy their needs. Or something like that. A consultancy, if you will, for new shooters who want a handgun for defense; to point them in the right direction.

One of the guns I've been looking at for teaching new shooters of smaller stature is the Walther PK380. The PK380 is a traditional hammer-fired DA/SA chambered in .380 ACP that is about 85% the size of a standard fullsize handgun. It's not exactly a compact like a Glock 19 or Walther PPQ, it's more like the new Browning 1911-380. Because of it's size, it seems like it would be useful to teach new shooters who have a smaller stature or at least smaller hands. The controls are easy to use, the ergonomics are good and the average street price is right. I really like the idea of this gun for beginners but I have one gripe; it's chambered in .380 ACP.

If .380 ACP were easier to find and cheaper than it is now I would have no issue. Sadly, .380 ACP is not NEARLY as plentiful or cheap as 9MM Parabellum. If so, I'd say the PK380 would be one of the best beginner guns on the market. In fact, I still feel like it is so eventually, I'll pick one up so I introduce it to new shooters.

No comments:

Post a Comment