17 June 2017

CZ 75 P-01 - Cheaty McCheat-Face

I really like the CZ 75 P-01. It's probably one of my best guns. It's easy to carry and accurate. The trigger isn't too bad and is very smooth. It's possible to find holsters for it but it can be tricky. So what's the problem?

Well, the issue is me; basically my trigger control sucks. I'm having too much trouble mastering the double action trigger pull from a draw. I can be fast but my shots are poorly placed or I can go slow and be accurate. That would be the problem though, the accuracy is coming at a speed far too slow than what I'm comfortable with. Maybe if I got some professional training to help master the DA/SA but I haven't but the desire to seek out that training just yet.

In the mean time, I've decided to be a Cheaty McCheat-Face. I'm switching back to striker-fired guns.

The M&P 9 Shield, M&P9c, SIG P320 SC, Glock 26 and Walther PPQ M1 are now back in my rotation. With that, I will be able to go back to appendix carry (Shield) giving me more options on method of carry as opposed to the OWB method for the P-01.

Over the last few months, I'd been tracking my times and shot placement with the P-01, which led my to wonder if I would be any faster/more accurate with the striker guns. As it turns out, I'm not any faster but I am significantly more accurate. This doesn't really surprise me since my initial training was done on a striker gun (XD-40 Service). That and I think the triggers on striker-fired guns are inherently easier to shoot well, hence the cheating part.

I really wanted to master the DA/SA trigger but I just don't have the money to throw at getting past shooting the DA quickly. I'm managing around 50 rounds every weekend right now but I don't feel like that's enough to get past my control issues. If I can motivate myself to locate a class or professional instruction on mastering the DA/SA then I will look into switching back. Until such time, I will have to stick with striker-fired guns.

No comments:

Post a Comment