Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The Folding AR Pistol - She Runs!!

After several months of troubleshooting the folding AR9, it finally runs. I had swapped out hammer springs in an attempt to alleviate the light primer strikes but after not successfully resolving the issue, I called in the big guns.

I stopped over at the internet famous Moss Pawn and Gun here in Georgia to have their resident gunsmiths take a look. After a quick diagnostic, it turned out that the firing pin spring was binding up on the tapered section of the firing pin. They were so kind as to turn said firing pin on a lathe to make a nice shelf and create a new spring to match. After some chatting with the gents, including Eric himself sporting an SBR Zenith 5.56 roller-delayed HK clone, it was off to 42 North for a test run.

I had a box of Winchester White Box with me at the time so, I loaded up a few rounds into the ETS magazines, racked the side charging handle and pulled the trigger. After successfully emptying the Glock-style magazines, I knew we had a winner. I loaded the magazines back up for another go. Every round ignited without fail. I completed a rough zero of the Magpul BUIS Pro sights as best I could, making this build officially operational.

After leaving the range I knew I only had one more thing to do, run everything I could get my hands on to see if she'll eat it. When I got back to the range the next day I asked for the worst ammo they had but nothing like what I was looking for. I was able to grab a box of Monarch steel case from Academy which ran without issue. At the time I hadn't remembered that I had Tula steel case and Winchester Forge in my inventory until I got back from the range. My next visit will involve running through the above mentioned ammo. If this thing will eat those rounds, we have probably one of the best range toys I've ever had the pleasure of shooting.

I'm not fully finished with the project. For this project to be fully realized, I have three more parts that need to be added. A red dot sight, a tri-lug suppressor and finally a trigger pack. This won't be just any trigger pack; it'll be the Echo Gen 2. Fostech has officially released their second generation Echo trigger and it's immensely improved. It no longer requires their proprietary BCG and now can use any BCG meaning this can most likely be dropped into anything that takes AR triggers. That makes it the perfect addition to this range toy.

Below are a few pictures from my new Instagram account.

I want to give a big shout out to Ray and Rafael over at Moss Pawn and Gun for helping make my dream into a reality.

IraqVeteran8888's YouTube video on the new Fostech Echo Trigger  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATNtqjsiq5U









No comments:

Post a Comment