24 March 2018

Buying a Silencer or Suppressor - Silencer Shop's Kiosk and Services

DISCLAIMER - Guns are loud, wear appropriate ear and eye protection.

Other DISCLAIMER - I'm not being paid or receiving any kick backs etc from Silencer Shop or anyone at all for this article.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently, I decided to buy a silencer. This is the process I took to buy one plus some other cool background stuff.

Background


Silencers for firearms have been around for quiet a while. Hiram Maxim's son filed a patent in 1909 for the first known design calling it a "silencer." In 1934, Congress enacted the Nation Firearms Act, or as I will refer from henceforth NFA or NFA 1934, which created two groups of firearms and firearm devices; Title 1 and Title 2. Title 1 firearms were the guns the writers of the law thought people used for normal activities like hunting and personal defense and the Title 2 group is for firearms and devices they considered exceptionally dangerous or didn't have sporting purposes such as machine guns, short barrel firearms, silencers, poaching, etc. At the time, instead of out right prohibiting firearms (rumor has it they didn't believe they had the power to do so), Congress used the powers of Taxation and power of Commerce granted to them by the Constitution to place an excise tax on Title 2 firearms to regulate said devices. This was the IRS's new firearm division that later became the BATFE. A $200 tax (or $5 tax for specific firearms), registration of the Title 2 device, fingerprints, extensive background checks and storage requirements in exchange for a tax stamp are all part of the NFA world.

Silencers, or suppressors and 'cans' as they are more commonly referred to in the firearms world, work by encapsulating and regulating the expanding gasses of the rapidly burning gun powder. This reduces the auditory signature created by a gun shot but not eliminating it, hence why many refer to silencers as suppressors in the firearm community. Depending on numerous factors such as bullet velocity, barrel length, amount of gun powder, etc, this regulation can reduce the intensity of the sound of a gun shot by a fairly significant amount; around 30 dB. A firearm such as a bolt action rifle chambered in a full power, rifle caliber such as 30-06 with a decent length barrel can produce a decibel level in excess of 160 dB. For perspective, typical conversation is around 60-70 dB according to a quick Google search. A jet engine at take off can be around 130 to 150 dB. Your garbage disposal can be around 80 dB. OSHA says sustained 90 dB (specifically dBA) is acceptable. Basically, a gun shot is one of the loudest things you can come in contact with on a regular basis. Due to the levels involved, it's not unusual for a person to "double up" on ear protection by using ear plus and ear muffs. I've personally shot a 45 ACP 1911 with a 5 inch barrel without ear pro outside with out significant damage but I only did it once and isn't something I'm willing to do regularly. The 1911 in 45 is listed around 159 dB on the Council for Accreditation in Occupational Hearing Conservation's website. They do list the AR-15 in .223 Remington but they don't mention barrel length.

Basically, guns are loud. Even a lowly 22 rimfire rifle can be pretty loud at 143 dB. That said, I really like shooting my Henry lever action rifle with those .22 CB Short rounds when I'm at the farm. Very quiet by comparison to a normal .22 LR. At least quiet enough that I'm willing to shoot without ear pro fairly regularly.

Since the introduction of NFA 1934, silencers have been devices that the general public typically only see in movies and other media. People for the most part have no exposure to them. This lack of exposure does little to dispel myths and can help propagate misunderstandings surrounding the devices in both their operation/function and the laws regulating them.

Thanks to video games and certain spy movies, I remember thinking silencers made a whisper quiet, high pitched, pew sound that you may not even hear in a quiet library. Recently, that stereotype has been corrected.

Although this was some time ago, when I found out I could own one I decided that a suppressor was right for me. I did research on how to go abouts doing so and learned a lot. The paperwork surrounding silencers seemed daunting and, frankly, a little scary. I figured someday I would get around to it but just not now. Enter Silencer Shop.

The Process I Took


Some time ago, the ATF changed a few requirements with what has become known as 41P. This removed a few requirements and added others. You are welcome and encouraged to read up on the changes. With 41P, the process becomes significantly more streamlined and reduces the chances for errors on the forms or at least so I'm told.

Along with selling silencers and the corresponding accessories, Silencer Shop has since introduced a few services such as their Tax Stamp service, Trust service and Form 1 service.

To aide in the purchase process, they created a kiosk that has the ability to scan your fingerprints (needed for the ATF forms) and the passport style photo you need to send with the appropriate form; Form 4 in my case.

After the multi-year deliberation, I finally decided to take the plunge into the NFA world and buy a suppressor suitable for 9mm pistols. This needed to be able to work with my ProjectPDW build and other 9mm pistols. It would also give me the option to shoot .300 AAC Blackout if I wanted to. I found a suitable suppressor, or can, that would work for me. More on the device later.

I op-ed to pursue the trust method since this gives me the ability to add heirs should I have children that, once of age, would be able receive my property, in the event of a situation such as death or incapacitation. It also allows me to add persons that I would like to be able to have legal access to the devices, such as a spouse/significant other or parent, that way they can enjoy them or access them, for legal reasons, without breaking any laws should I not be available at the moment to control access.

Setting up a trust through Silencer Shop turned out to be easy. They sent web based forms that I filled out of who I wanted the settlor, the trustees and beneficiaries to be. Give it a name and that's pretty much it. They create the paperwork for you then you sign and have it notarized. Other companies also have NFA trust services but I have no experience with them though people that I trust have recommended others.

If you wish to use Silencer Shop's Tax Stamp service, you create a profile on their website or at the kiosk, inputting all the pertinent information and filling out a questionnaire. You upload the trust information and paperwork to their website along with the passport style photo and fingerprints you put in at the kiosk. They check all the paperwork and fingerprints for compliance then e-file the Form 4 along with the $200 for you. I'm told that this takes about a week to complete. As an update to this article, April 3rd was when I received the Form 4 for signing via Docusign. Silencer Shop should be preparing to E-File it shortly.

Once the ATF has the paperwork, it will take several months (current projections are around 7 months for E-file Form 4, Trust) for them to complete the background check needed then mail out the tax stamp. The stamp will be mailed to the store I purchased the suppressor from who will call me once everything is ready to be picked up. Update: It appears that Silencer Shop will snail mail the Form 4 instead of E-File. That would explain why I couldn't find wait times for Form 4 Trust E-File. Bleh...

Waiting sucks but depending on the shop you buy from and when you buy it (tax return season is apparently the worst), they may allow you to shoot the device at their range while you wait. You are not allowed to take it home since that would be considered a transfer.

The can that I bought is modular enough that I can use it for both 9mm and supersonic .300 Blackout but it doesn't mention anything about 5.56. It's also segmented meaning that one part unscrews from the main body allowing for a shorter configuration. The can is fairly heavy so the shorter, or K configuration, is welcome even though the suppression is significantly reduced.  So far, I've only run the can in the full length configuration but on both my CZ P-09 and ProjectPDW. With subsonic 9mm, the full effect is spectacular. The noise levels are fantastic. ProjectPDW is an absolute pleasure to shoot. If there wasn't anyone else at the range, I wouldn't bother with any ear protection when shooting subsonic ammunition. The P09 is just as fun but there seems to be significant debris that ejects rearward so shooting glasses are a must. You should be wearing shooting glasses anyway.

I've come to really like my new purchase and it completes ProjectPDW in a massive way. I'm looking forward to buying more.


Update 12/07/2018 - I got the call. The dealer has my stamp and the device is ready for pickup!




A post shared by Ian Kocher (@der.yetti) on








In the same way I posted the Maryland HQL, I will post my wait times.

Purchased Device - 03/22/2018
Silencer Shop Compliance (Docusign Form 4) - 04/03/2018
Form 4 Mailed - Unknown
Check Cashed - 04/22/2018
Stamp Received - 12/7/2018 (Officially received by Class 3 dealer)

Total Count - 260 Days

-------------------------------------
*CAOHC's list PDF Here

No comments:

Post a Comment