22 April 2018

Carbine Build - #ProjectCarbine


The main focus of this build was to create what I call the 'Cool-Guy' AR15. Initially, the project started off as a buildup of a cheap DPMS Oracle, however, after examination of the parts list on the DPMS, I determined that the 4140 steel barrel and commercial spec buffer tube were not 'Cool-Guy' enough for this build. Therefore, replacements were needed. In essence, the parts that needed to be good such as the barrel and action should be of excellent quality where the rest can be re-purposed from existing parts. As the project progressed, the idea, while satirical, ended up being to build a legitimate firearm that I could grow into as I become more proficient with a rifle. 

When I found out that the Oracle had a commercial spec buffer tube, I opted to re-assign the built DPMS lower to another project. I pulled a stripped Anderson lower from inventory and assigned it to the build.  I had set it aside until I could source all the parts I wanted. I had the 4140 barrel and carbine length gas system stripped from the Oracle's upper. I later removed the ejection port cover and forward assist from the upper in preparation for Cerakote finishing. I chose a Geissele MK8, 13 inch rail to act as a free-float handguard and rigid mounting point for any accessories such as a weapon light and front sight. During the planning phase, I setteled on two options for barrels but I knew it was going to be a mid-length gas system and 14.5 inch barrel. I ended up choosing the Faxon Firearms GUNNER 14.5 inch barrel with mid-length gas system. I had initially considered the FN-made, Spikes Tactical "machine gun" barrel but the cost vs benefit of the double chrome lined FN barrel vs the Faxon QPQ didn't pan out for me; I opted for the Faxon for it's QPQ finish and price. Prior to Cerakote-ing the receivers and rail, I knew I wanted and an adjustable, low profile, gas block. After searching and searching, the only suitable option came from Superlative Arms as the barrel requires a .625 inch gas block, something difficult to find in the adjustable form. Given that the barrel is under the 16 inch minimum for Title 1 firearms, I had Moss Pawn and Gun do a pin and weld using a Surefire WARCOMP to keep everything Title 1. I'm not ready to do tax stamps for firearms just yet. While the barrel was getting a pin-and-weld, I had GA Firing Line complete the Cerakote job. Both of them completed their tasks quickly and with quality results.

The Cerakote job is excellent. I ended up with Cerakote's SIG Dark Grey (H-210Q) and I really like the way it looks and feels. It's very modern looking. I've already been putting the durability to the test.




Once I had the upper assembly completed, I topped it off with Magpul MBUS Pro sights because I love them. I also added a few MAGPUL MLOK accessories. With a fully built upper, I pulled the DPMS lower assembly off of ProjectBasic for testing. Once, initial testing was complete, I began sourcing the lower parts needed. I built out the Cerakoted Anderson lower with a standard Anderson parts kit but used a Geisselle Super Dynamic 3 Gun flat shoe trigger. The stock I used was a Magpul MOE-SL mil-spec I had in inventory; a temporary solution until I settle on the stock I want. During testing, I found I had trouble seeing the narrow and dark front sight post initiating a purchase of Blitzkrieg Component's bright yellow / green replacement front post. They also have a tritium front post.

For the final touches I scooped up a Midwest Industries cantilever, QD mount for use with a Primary Arms 1-6 Gen 3 with the ACSS reticle. It wasn't necessary but I had the fine folks at 42 North gun shop lap the mount rings and level the scope. They have done a ton of small stuff to help me get this rifle to a place where I am happy.

The build has run flawlessly so far allowing me to declare this rifle as mechanically complete. The only parts missing from the upper are a Radian RAPTOR-SD charging handle, a bolt carrier group of my choosing and a Surefire SOCOM-556 RC suppressor. I'm considering replacing the Magpul MS3 sling with a Slingster and adding a Surefire WARDEN to the mix. I will look to picking up a Bravo B5 SOPMOD Enhanced stock but we will see.

So far, I am ecstatic about how this build has turned out. It seems to shoot well enough and the trigger break is so clean and I'm running the default 4 lbs spring. The rifle isn't exhaustively heavy with everything. I haven't really been able to do any real shooting with it but as soon as I am able, I will stretch this baby's legs. I have no real changes I'd like to make!








No comments:

Post a Comment