29 May 2018

Tricking Out Guns - Upgrading the Gen1 M&P Shield

One of my carry options has been the M&P Shield 9 with thumb safety for the last few years. While I've been thinking about making changes to the Shield, for the most part I've left it stock with the exception of Talon grips. That said, since I've been on a Tom Clancy, Jack Ryan series kick, I decided to make a few changes.

In the series, Jack Ryan's oldest son, Jack Jr., works for an off-the-books, private intelligence firm referred to as The Campus. Several of the operators of The Campus carry the M&P Shield for their more clandestine actions.

The changes I've made are the basic changes that I make to all my carry guns; tritium iron sights and a weapon light. In this case, I've foregone my usual TRUGLO TFX's for a set of Trijicon HD's with the yellow outline. The Streamlight TLR-6 will serve as the light. However, I have an additional change for kicks and giggles; a Lone Wolf Distributors AlphaWolf threaded barrel.You know, for wet work.

I'll be running the stock barrel most of the time but I am very interested to see how this all works with the DeadAir Wolf 9SD especially in the short config. This is going to be fun.

As for holsters, Gearcraft Holsters has an order for their IWB with all the goodies for my gun I can expect to be delivered in June or July.

And yes I am excited for the Amazon Jack Ryan series.

Update: I had recoil spring / guide rod failure in June. I went to swap out the threaded barrel and the assembly spontaneously self-dissembled. I was able to locate the 2 guide rod pieces and the springs  and manually reassemble the gun but it was a giant pain.I ordered 2 replacement spring assemblies.





A post shared by Ian Kocher (@der.yetti) on




No comments:

Post a Comment