29 December 2018

.45 Colt - Part Ducks (Deux) or The Pietta 1873 Cabela's Special

Some time ago, I had taken interest in the classic big bore cartridge, .45 Colt. It took some time to get there but I was able to locate something of significant interest.

It started with a pair of cowboy boots and Saturday mornings watching the Rifleman on AMC. Then it turned into a reloading setup and a Winchester 94 AE in .45 Colt. About 4 years ago, I had noticed that Bass Pro would run a sale on the Uberti 1873 Cattleman (nearly identical to the Pietta model) for around $399. I would miss the deal and would have to wait, until the other day when I noticed the Pietta model was at $349 and jumped on it. I thought it was a sale but the prices seem to be the regular, everyday price. More on that later.

Fairly recently, Cabela's (now owned by Bass Pro Shops) appears to have worked out some sort of deal with Pietta over in Italy to import and sell the 1873-SA, a Colt Single Action Army pattern pistol. I say this because I noticed some markings on the bottom of the barrel that say Cabela's. I'm not entirely sure but I believe that this is the same Pietta that produces the reproduction percussion cap, black powder pistols such as the Colt 1851 and Remington 1858 pieces. I own 2 of the repro. 1851 cap and ball revolvers.

The pistols come in 2 finishes, 2 barrel lengths and 3 chamberings, .45 Colt, .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum, of which the last one is most interesting. I purchased mine in .45 Colt with a 4.75 inch barrel and matte finish. Please note that the website shows a third, nickel finish but it doesn't appear to be for sale.

What makes this interesting comes in 2 data points. First, is that I had taken to an understanding that the 1873 platform wasn't particularly strong only able to handle the .45 Colt and similar rounds such as .38-40 and .44-40; that .44 Magnum was too much for the design. I had seen where companies had produced SAA/1873 pattern pistols in .44 Mag but those were modified in some way to handle such power. I am unaware if these 1873-SA's have had such modifications.

The other interesting data point is that these retail for $349 and $399. The base model .357 and .45 matte with 4.75 inch barrels are $349, while the .44 Mag version and blued versions (5.5 inch barrel only) retail for $399. This means that Cabela's is selling a .44 Mag revolver for $400. I am not currently aware of any brick and mortar store that is selling ANY kind of .44 Mag revolver around the $400 mark. The price alone puts me in a place where I'd like to buy another but in the .44 Mag version.

Moving on. I haven't spent any real time with the pistol other than working the hammer but it feels well enough and doesn't seem to have any glaring finish issues. It appears to be in time but I have yet to set it through it's paces. If my 1851's are any indicator, I'll have to replace minor parts like springs but it should be fine for a while.

I can say that I have taken it with me hunting, which for that price seems like a great choice. I will spend some time shooting it and get back with for details.

My initial thoughts are that, especially in .44 mag, the Pietta/Cabela's 1873-SA is a steal and is worth anyone's time (as long as you get a good one and not a lemon).

No comments:

Post a Comment